This project gave me an A++ in college 💯🎓 & this is prolly my last post 😭
Augmented Reality for everyone
Feel free to contribute on GitHub
TLDR: Following things happened apparently:
0: I started this project 2 years back 🤸♀️
1: Last month, this project gave me an A++ in college finals 💯🎓
2: Two weeks back I went for an interview 💁♂️ at a startup company
3: I got selected for web developer position ✨
4: I'll be joining shortly
5: (this is prolly my last post)
With Lvr, we bets on a game-changer that has potential to shape the future of augmented reality. Project Lvr will enable creative executives, clients and developers to design customised AR experiences and new forms of immersive content on web 🔥
- A device which supports WebGL and WebRTC with a working camera input - Most of our smartphones and PCs support both 😃
- Internet connection 🌐
- A web browser that supports WebVR (works best with Chrome on Android devices) 💻
- Wonder)! :heart:
Demo: Try it on mobile :iphone: 🚀
It works on all platforms & devices - Android, iOS and Windows phone (for iOS, you need to update to iOS 11)
Try on your phone in only two easy steps, check it out!
Step 0: Open my Augmented Reality web app in your phone's Chrome browser. Scroll down and select any one of the categories (ex: Chemistry ⚗️ or Geography 🌍)
Step 1: Give permissions to access camera and scan the below marker image
More markers can be found here on Google Drive. Play around with other markers (A, B, C, D, F, G) and categories (Alphabets, Animals, Chemistry, Geography etc.) to be amused! 😱
You're done! It will open a web page which read the phone's webcam, localize a marker and add 3D on top of it 🙀
A little about the project: tldr;
What makes Lvr special is that for the first time, users will be able to design an end-to-end AR experiences with little or no technical know-how Follow the project on GitHub for more insights and build your own AR app
With advances in computing power and programming, AR is beginning to see adoption in streams like advertising, marketing, education, industrial training and so on
A user, shopping at a supermarket, can point the phone's camera at, say, a new variety of cheese, and will see its nutrients and other constituents right on the phone screen
In the education sector, tech firms are developing solutions in which workers and engineers can point their phones towards a chip circuit and see the labels of its various components, during training
Applications of this tech are limitless, here is a few:
- Education: Capture students imagination on geography, physics, chemistry, biology, maths, information technology etc.
- Medicine: From human anatomy to cross sectional views of internal organs, medical data, real-time diagnosis and results.
- Visualize: Visualize products before production, 3D modeling, architecture, construction, real estate, interior design, automobiles, vehicles, electronics and appliances, manufacturing, e-commerce etc.
- Virtual Reality: Engage your audience with immersive 3D experiences and user interactions.
- Art and Entertainment: VR/AR games, multimedia streaming, character models etc.
- Explain: Scan and get user reviews, price, detailed informations about products.
- Transportation & Navigation: Get indoor and outdoor real-time navigation routes and alerts.
- Identify: Identify shapes, places, plants, animals, landscapes, etc.
- Measure: Measure distance between objects.
- Convert and Translate: Real-time unit conversations and language translations.
- Food and Health: Get calorie consumption of foods and beverages.
- Advertisements: Branding and ads.
- E-commerce: View and experience products before buying them.
- Bring 2D print materials to life: Engage audience by bringing printed magazines, story books, product labels, etc to life.
“The unreal is more powerful than the real. Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. Because it's only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. Wood rots. People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on. If you can change the way people think, the way they see themselves, the way they see the world, you can change the way people live their lives. That's the only lasting thing you can create.” —Chuck Palahniuk
For us, even sky is not the limit — we believe “the only limit is your imagination”
Feel free to contribute on GitHub
If you want a heads up on my next projects, or just want to chat about the web, make sure to follow me @liyasthomas 💙